Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pocket Mini Computer kit

On my previous post, Blue Screen Of Basic, I was showing the output of a computer mini kit I just built.

What

The Pocket Mini Computer is a simple kit that can be put together in an evening. Just like the Raspberry Pi, it is a bare board (quite like the Apple I). You then need a keyboard (PS/2), monitor (VGA) and power supply (5V, mini USB).

It is not a competitor to the Pi, particularly based on spec and price. It wont run Linux. At any rate, you are probably anxiously waiting on your backordered Raspberry Pi and Gertboard, so that'll give you something to do, hehehe.

Rather, it's something to learn soldering on (or in my case, have fun building stuff, like people do puzzles or crosswords), and play with Propeller Basic and SIDCOG, an emulation of the SID chip including filters using one of the 8 "cogs" (core) of the "processor".

I should really say microcontroller. It runs on a Parallax Propeller microcontroller QuickStart board which is included in the $39 price tag (and that is less than what Radio-Shack sells the P8X32A by itself!)

The box



The bags


  

The parts


Bonus

While supplies last, Jeff includes a laser cut acrylic reference block for the P8X32A GPIOs.

Now, let's build this.

2 comments:

Jr. Williams said...

Will an Android Mini PC work the way I think it will?
android mini computer

Jhon Marshal said...

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.
Rooting MTK Devices